Sunday, March 16, 2014

The Important Thing (Journaling Framework)

Several years ago (I would go have to look at some layouts to determine what year it was) a dear friend, Michelle Snyder, read "The Important Book" to us at a retreat I attended.  It was for self-reflection and for journaling inspiration.  Since then I have used this activity in my classroom as a teacher and recently shared it at a training with several of my staff members.  When thinking of what I wanted to do for the blog hop that went live yesterday this book came to my mind again.  Let me share with you what I have taken from that day several years ago...

This is the cover of "The Important Book" which I ordered from Amazon.
Here is a page I found online on one of many of the pages contained in the book.  The author writes about a spoon, a daisy, the rain, and other items (mostly from nature) in the same way as shown below about grass.
You will notice the first and last lines are the same.  They identify the noun to be described.  The next few lines contain verbs which describe the noun selected.  I have done poem/journaling activity focusing on various nouns like me, the sunset, etc.  Here is a sample I did for my staff a few weeks ago.

This time I choose to focus on Principal as my noun for the purpose of my scrapbook page and did a little spin on the journaling.  This is how it reads:
The important thing about me
is I am the Principal.
It has been a long-term goal of mine
and I want to make a difference.
I lead how I want to be lead
and I have worked hard for it.
But the important thing about me
is I am the Principal.

I have considered doing a scrapbook album that focuses on the important things.  Wouldn't it be fun to do so, making my own "book"?  I think I might just do it!

I would love to know what you think of this idea and challenge you to try it yourself.  I believe it is a great way to journal, especially for those who find it a little intimidating.

Remembering to focus on the important things,


3 comments:

  1. I love this!!!!!!!!!!! I may have to get this book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The important thing is that this post was informative. This post was well-written, well illustrated, and well planned. The most important thing is that this post was informative.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for showing me some blog love with your comments!